Hutchinson Middle School
Parent Involvement Policy
The Hutchinson Middle School Community firmly believes that parent participation is an integral part of a child’s success in school. We realize that not all parents can be involved to the same degree and for that reason we offer a wealth of opportunities for parents to participate in their child’s education.
- Parents are informed about program issues and progress at monthly School Site Council meetings. Parent input is sought about how to raise achievement, in developing the budget, and in rewriting the school plan. Parents are encouraged to offer suggestions for program improvement during these meetings.
- Parents are informed regularly of their child’s progress via phone calls, emails, Parent Portal, Progress Reports, Unsatisfactory Notices, semi-annual parent conferences, and report cards which are sent home three times a year.
- We encourage parents to become involved in their child’s education in the following ways:
- a) Reading and responding to all communications
- b) Utilizing the multiple avenues provided by the teacher/school (Website, Parent Portal, Schoology, phone, emails, student agendas)
- c) Communication between the teacher through the schoolwide progress reports
- d) Participating in parent education classes offered on a variety of topics.
- e) Participating on the PTSA
- f) Serving on the School Site Council and/or ELAC
- g) Serving on interview panels
- h) Offering input through parent surveys
- i) College and Career Week
Staff members play an important role in encouraging ongoing parent involvement. Each teacher maintains regular contact with parents. The front office feels welcoming and child/parent friendly. The rapport that our staff establishes with parents helps to make parents feel welcome at Hutchinson Middle School.